This temple was formerly called Wat Mae Tao Ngiao or Wat Thai Yai. It is located at Mu 1, Tambon Tha Sai Luat, about 5 km from Mae Sot town. Take Highway No. 105 (Tak – Mae Sot route) to Rim Moei Market, to around Km 84 before reaching the Thai – Myanmar Friendship Bridge. This is a temple of the Mahayana Buddhism (Great Vehicle) of the Thai Yai people whose traditions, cultural arts and rituals are influences of the Union of Myanmar. It was built in 1857 by Mr. Mung, a Burmese villager in Shan State, whose family migrated to Mae Sot district. He was the first headman of Mae Tao village and later was named as Muen Atkhamhaenghan. In 1957, the Ministry of Education declared it as a Buddhist temple attached to the Department of Religious Affairs. Inside the temple, there is Phra Phutthamahamuni, an imitation image of the sacred Buddha image in Mandalay, Union of Myanmar, which gains great respect from the people of Tak.
latitude and longitude 16° 41' 54.41" 98° 31' 40.38" (also visible in Google street-view)
© Antoni Uni, el primero UniCo de l'Escala 2018