Phra Samut Chedi District The district is named after the temple Phra Samut Chedi, which was built 1827/28 by king Buddha Loetla Nabhalai (Rama II) on an island in the Chao Phraya river - hence its popular name Phra Chedi Klang Nam (Chedi in the middle of the water). The island is now connected with the left river banks. Phra Samut Chedi, Samutprakan
Phra Samut Chedi is located at Tambon Pak Klong Bang Pla Kot, on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, opposite Samut Prakan City Hall. Formerly, this chedi was located on a small island in the middle of Chao Phraya River’s mouth behind Phisuea Samut Fortress. Subsequently, however, the little island became linked to the right bank of the river due to the water turning shallow. Then, King Rama II granted the construction of the Chedi but it was not completed in his time. Later, during the reign of King Rama III, construction was resumed and the 20-metre high pagoda was completed. Finally, King Rama IV commanded that the shape of the chedi be changed and also increased the chedi’s height to 38 metres. Inside the pagoda, contained Lord Buddha’s relics, Phra Chai Wat and Phra Ham Samut Buddha images (Buddha image in the attitude of Pacifying the ocean).
Latitude and longitude 13°36'01.68"N 100°35'08.34" E (also visible in Google street-view)
© Antoni Uni, el primero UniCo de l'Escala 2018